The government promulgated the Statue for Handling and Compensation of the 228 Incident on April 7, 1995, and set up in October of that year the 228 Memorial Foundation to handle monetary compensation and spiritual consolation for victims of the massacre. It examines victims' and their family members' claims for damage, hands out compensation, reinstates the victims' reputation, probes the truth behind the massacre, visits the victims and their family members to console them, and enhances public understanding of the incident, with the aim of bringing about justice, fairness, forgiveness, eternal peace and harmony in Taiwan.
The 228 Memorial Foundation is a non-profit corporation established by the government according to law to deal with the aftermath of the 228 Incident. It consists of a policy-making body and an executive department:MORE
Conclusion & Prospects
Following the 228 Massacre in 1947, Taiwan was gripped by martial law for four decades, and calls for the rehabilitation of the victims of the massacre was unheard of until 1987 when martial law was lifted. The government began to address the issue at the strong request of people in 1990 and set up an ad hoc organization in 1995 to handle the issue after enacting a statue to provide a legal framework for it earlier that year.
Introduction to the Memorial Museum
Located at the corner of a building lot, the museum stands at a distance from the road, leaving space for a sidewalk and garden beds. The building's two wings meet at a perpendicular angle, giving it an L-shaped layout. Facing the intersection of Quanzhou Street and Nanhai Road, the carriage porch (kurumayose in Japanese) serves as the main entrance to the building, guiding visitors through the entryway, hall (hiroma) and staircase (kaidanshitsu). This area serves as the major passageway for foot traffic within the building, while the stairwells in each of the building's wings serve as secondary passageways for the flow of people.
With the building designed so that a distance is kept from the road, and its breadth and depth being in progressive proportion (marche), a spatial experience is thus created for all visitors, who will find the architecture reveals more detail and clarity as they draw closer.
The museum building was completed in 1931, when Taiwan was still under Japanese rule. With the passage of time and the transfer of political power, the building has continued to play an important role in Taiwan's history.